Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop. - Ansel Adams


I am hoping for two.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lessons I've Learned for Using my D40

I took this photo just for practice and noticed that it was too dark. I adjusted my EV (the button directly behind the shutter release button) and took this much better photo.


I couldn't get a good shot of Weston in front of the door so I just snapped this.


After reading my new Field Guide I discovered that you can fix backlit photos by using the D-lighting under the Retouch Menu. I used the high setting and saved both copies. Why not wait and do this in a photo editing program? Perhaps you want to e-mail it right away or you want to have a slide show presentation while on vacation.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. Now if I can just finally get my camera...and the book...I'll be able to do this too!

    I like how adjusting the EV on the first photo also took care of the glare that was on the picture and the shadow from your steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough (and as handy as that EV and D-touching sounds) I prefer both original photos to the retouched ones. Although I'm sure those tools will come in handy for a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they will. It was the first time I used either feature and I'm sure I was heavy-handed when I could have been less drastic. Books can't teach everything :)

    ReplyDelete